Cities and other local governments could get a one-time opportunity to put Minnesota Investment Fund money toward retail stores, sports arenas or casinos.
Those uses are now prohibited from receiving local loans through the fund. But HF1620/ SF1456* would create a one-time exception if the local government first returns 20 percent of uncommitted fund money to the state’s General Fund. The remaining 80 percent would be freed of the fund’s statutory restrictions and could be used for any otherwise legal purpose.
Rep. Pat Garofalo (R-Farmington), who sponsors the bill with Sen. Jeremy Miller (R-Winona), said it would give “local units of government the voluntary option of retaining some of those funds.” He termed the portion required to be returned “a small assessment to the State of Minnesota.”
Passed 119-9, as amended, by the House Tuesday, it goes back to the Senate, where it passed 64-0 May 10.
The amendment would change what the local government could use the money for, from “any lawful economic development purpose, including community development planning and loans to retail businesses” to “any purposes not otherwise forbidden by law.”
A March 1, 2017, fiscal note estimates the cost to the General Fund at $5 million.
“This bill has a long journey in front of it,” said Rep. Tim Mahoney (DFL-St. Paul). He objects to some of the language in the single-paragraph measure, but added, “We’ll fix it in conference.”
The Minnesota Supreme Court has ordered the Legislature and Gov. Mark Dayton to use mediation to resolve a funding dispute. In an opinion issued Friday, the court also ruled that Dayton’s use of the line-item veto to strip biennial funding for the Legislature was constitutional.
A Ramsey County judge on Wednesday ruled that Gov. Mark Dayton’s line-item veto of legislative funding violated the state’s constitution.
House and Senate leadership OK a resolution to seek outside legal representation in an effort to restore funding for the Legislature that Gov. Mark Dayton line-item vetoed earlier this week.
Day three of the 2017 special session saw lawmakers pass final omnibus bills to be sent to Gov. Mark Dayton, with weary House members wrapping up their work at 2:42 a.m. Friday following a week of long days — and nights — at the State Capitol.
Lawmakers on conference committees must sort through competing bills before finalizing a product to send to the governor.
The budget process explained — and why it matters
$45 billion plan is about a 10 percent increase over current biennium
Governor urges lawmakers to pass a big capital investment bill during budget-setting year; House Speaker has expressed doubt over bonding this session
It was a day of selfies, swearings-in and standing ovations as the House opened the 2017-18 biennial session Tuesday.